One of my favourite any-time fruit desserts is a crisp or crumble. Sure enough, right when we got back from apple picking on the weekend, I whipped up a crisp for the family. This recipe for our Apple Crisp with Candied Ginger Inside and Out is a variation on a favourite plum crumble recipe my friend Sarah shared with me more than a decade ago! I’m pretty sure her script came from a Marian Burros recipe in the New York Times circa 2005. At least, that’s as far back as I’ve traced it. Now, I’m a ginger fanatic. Did you see our Lemon Ginger Marmalade on Summer of Funner? Did you? So, I’ve built upon the original by including candied ginger both inside the crisp and as part of its cookie-like crust.
I hope you’ll enjoy it. Oh, and if you’ve got pie on the mind, you could probably just make this into an Apple Crisp Pie with Candied Ginger by blind baking an all-butter crust for about 12-15 minutes before adding the ingredients below.
But first, a note on candied ginger: If yours is store bought, try to make sure you get the thin, dry strips as opposed to thicker, almost “juicy” discs or cubes. These tend to be filled with some sort of odd-tasting preservative – gross! And don’t worry about buying too much! You can always make these amazing Ginger Crackle Cookies of ours with the extras!
Apple Crisp with Candied Ginger Inside and Out
FOR THE FRUIT FILLING
- 7 apples peeled, cored, and sliced
- 3 tablespoons sugar white or brown
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour* [optional]
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 heaping tablespoons finely chopped candied ginger
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1 cup flour*
- 2/3 cup sugar white or brown
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped candied ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup melted unsalted butter
- Heavy cream Whipped Cream, or Ice Cream
- Lemon Ginger Marmalade
- One Sinful Pat of Butter
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place apple slices in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl combine the remaining filling ingredients.
- Pour the small bowl of filling over the large bowl of apples.
- Stir to combine.
- Pour this filling mixture into an ungreased 9 inch pie plate or the baking vessel of your choosing. [We used a ceramic tart dish.]
- In a clean bowl, combine ALL topping ingredients EXCEPT the EGG and MELTED BUTTER.
- With a fork, gradually mix the egg into the topping, producing little pills of toppingy goodness.
- Pour this topping mixture over top of the fruit mixture in the baking vessel, spreading evenly.
- Press topping mixture a bit to make an even crust over the fruit.
- Spoon the melted butter over the top of the prepared crisp. You need not use the entire 1/2 cup to cover the crisp well.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the crisp is golden-brown on top.
- Remove from the oven and cool slightly.
- Serve warm, with the topping of your choice.
This crisp may be refrigerated for a few days or frozen for several months. We like to freeze crisps and crumbles in individual freezer-to-oven serving containers. Then, we simply reheat for a few minutes in a hot oven! Adapted from Marian Burros