Hello, lovelies! Did you miss us? We took a break from our trad. March BreACK staycationing and flew to L.A. to visit family and friends and to conquer Disneyland! Also, we’re still in the process of re-envisioning our little online magazines and their place in our lives. Do bear with us as we take the occasional break. Last excuse, we swear: we were waiting [and waiting] for the sun to come out before daring to post any of our Spring-related posts.
At Last! It’s Spring!
And who doesn’t want a little cake to bring with them to the next potluck or Mother’s Day Brunch? How about these amazing little Brown Sugar Cake Squares with THE BEST Homemade Butterscotch Icing you ever did taste?
When I was a little girl, I used to love having treats at my Nonna’s house. One of our favourite pre-packaged goodies was something called a TastyKake Butterscotch Krimpet. Now, I certainly haven’t found any of thoses sweet babies here in Canadaland. So, of course, I decided to take matters into my own hands and make some for the kids!
What’s the best thing about these brown butter cakes with butterscotch frosting? Of course, the cakes are fab, but the frosting, well, the frosting makes the cake! And, BONUS, can use this amazing Butterscotch Frosting on just about ANYTHING you’ve baked!! [Believe me, I’ve had some practice, recently…] Now, please, don’t fear the butterscotch-making in the recipe here. First off, the end result tastes WAY better than frostings made with melted butterscotch chips [gross] or store-bought butterscotch topping [though, the latter will do in a pinch]. Second, the recipe really doesn’t take that long to make at all! You can get started on the sauce while the cake is in the oven. And, it will be at room temperature and ready to incorporate into the icing by the time the cake is out and cooling off. So, no excuses! Let’s get to it!
Here’s our recipe!
Butterscotch Krimpets: Brown Sugar Cakes with THE BEST Butterscotch Frosting
Brown Sugar Cake Ingredients
- 3 c all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups room temperature butter
- 1 c white sugar
- 1.5 c brown sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup milk
THE BEST Butterscotch Frosting Ingredients
- 4 tbs butter + 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 c dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 c heavy cream
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 3 c icing sugar
Brown Sugar Cake Method
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Spray the cooking pans with baking spray or butter and flour, or line with cupcake papers.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a mixer or by hand, cream the butter and sugars until fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing with each addition.
- Add the vanilla.
- Alternate adding the flour by the cup and the milk by the half cup until combined.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared pans.
- Bake the cake squares or cupcakes for 23-28 mins.
- Cool 10 mins in pans before removing and cooling completely.
- Slice tops to make perfectly flat squares (if desired).
THE BEST Butterscotch Frosting Method
- Over medium heat, in a medium saucepan, melt the 4 tbs of butter.
- Add the brown sugar and salt and whisk until blended.
- Add the cream and whisk until blended.
- Bring to a boil and whisk occasionally for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the butterscotch sauce from the stove.
- Add the vanilla and stir to incorporate.
- Pour the butterscotch sauce into a bowl and bring to room temperature by cooling for at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator or on the counter.
- [At this point, the butterscotch sauce created here can be used on its own or stored and served over ice cream, etc.]
- In a stand mixer, blend the butter and the room temperature butterscotch sauce [you should have about 3/4 cup] in a stand mixer.
- Add the icing sugar by the 1/2 cup until you form a thick yet spreadable frosting.
- Ice the cakes well on the tops.
Enjoy it, lambs! Enjoy!