For the long bus ride up to her school’s camp-out, Bea wanted a nut-free, pumpkin version of the amazing cookies we made last month. So, to work we went, and came up with these beauties: Chewy Pumpkin Cookies with Butterscotch and Chocolate Chips! Fasten your seatbelts, pumpkin lovers. We’ve outdone ourselves. Oh, and by the way, purists, these babies are AMAZING even without the chips!
The Lunchbox Season's Chewy Pumpkin Cookies with Butterscotch and Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon each: nutmeg cloves, allspice or 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup butterscotch chips [optional]
- 1 cup chocolate chips [optional]
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and spices and set aside.
- In a mixer or by hand, cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- Add the molasses and vanilla until combined.
- Add the pumpkin purée until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients until fully combined.
- Add the [optional] chips and mix until just combined.
- Refrigerate the dough for 20-30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 350 and line cookie sheets with parchment or silpats.
- Drop the dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto lined pans.
- Bake for just about 11 minutes.
- Allow to cool on pans for at least 10 minutes before transferring the cookies on their parchment or silpat onto wire racks.
- Cool for at least another 30 minutes before serving.