Towards the end of January, I tend to start thinking pink. So, for our final Wednesday Soup of the season, I came up with a super soup of beets and cranberries with coconut milk and amazing subtle spices. It tastes great hot OR cold.
Beet, Cranberry, and Coconut Milk Soup [Vegan]
- 8 small beets a bit less than 2 lb, washed, scrubbed, and trimmed
- 1 c fresh or frozen craberries
- 2 medium apples peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 cube/coin 1/2-to1-in thick, fresh, peeled ginger
- 3/4 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp salt [we used fine pink himalayan]
- 1-2 tbs olive coconut or canola oil
- 2-4 c vegetable [or your preferred] broth
- 1 15 oz can coconut milk
- Heat oven to 375.
- Place beets in foil and roast for 30 minutes to an hour, until softened all the way through.
- In the meantime, dice the apples and onion and place on a roasting tray.
- Mix the cranberries, ginger, and garlic cloves on the vegetable tray.
- Drizzle the vegetables on the tray with a bit of oil and stir gently with your fingers or tongs.
- Sprinkle the contents of the tray with optional spices, salt, and pepper as desired.
- Roast the vegetable tray for 30-40 minutes, until browned and softened.
- In a blender or food processor, purée the beets and the vegetables in batches, adding broth by the .5 cup until just smooth.
- Place the vegetable purée in a pot over the stove and heat over medium-high heat.
- Add the coconut milk and then the remainder of broth until you've achieved a desirable consistency.
- Heat through.
- [If you are after a very fine broth, say, for entertaining, be sure to use a high powered mixer like a vitamix [[we don't bother ]] an run the soup through a sieve! You'll have less soup, but you'll still have all of that amazing flavour!]
- Serve warm or chilled!