You want this. You really do.
The Lunchbox Season's Panettone French Toast
- 1 Panettone [about 1.5-2 lb]
- 9 eggs
- 1 c cream [use half and half in a pinch]
- 1 c milk [we used skim]
- 1/4 c sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 tbs bourbon [optional]
- [If you are not using a non-stick pan, you will also need butter or cooking spray]
- Set a warming drawer to low or set oven to 170F.
- Line a cookie pan with parchment.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, cream, milk, sugar, vanilla and optional bourbon until fully blended.
- Slice panettone in half [from top to bottom].
- Cut each half of panettone into 1-in slices.
- [You can halve these slices if they are too large to fit into your pan.]
- Heat a large nonstick pan to a medium heat and turn down heat-source slightly.
- If you are not using a non-stick pan, coat with a bit of butter or oil.
- Working 3 large slices or 6 small slices at a time:
- Using tongs, dip slices of bread into egg mixture.
- Cook soaked slices over medium heat for a few minutes on each side.
- [Slices should be browned on both sides.]
- Remove slices to parchment lined pan and keep warm in the oven until serving.
- Repeat until all slices are prepared.