The kids have been hankering for a Halloween version of my famous Santa Baby Cookies. We finally hit on a pumpkin oatmeal version that fits the bill. And if you’re daring enough, you can use smashed up bits of your fun-size Halloween candies as some of the mix-ins.
For our lunchbox friendly version, we added Butterscotch chips and semi-sweet mini chips as our mix-ins.
Here are a few other mix-in combos we love:
Butterscotch Chips, Pecans, and Coconut
Milk Chocolate Chips, Walnuts, and Diced Dried Apricots
Dark Chocolate Chunks, Cinnamon Chips, Pistachios, and Diced Candied Orange
Peanuts, Sunflower Seeds, and Busted Butterfinger Candies
Dark Chocolate, Milk Chocolate, and White Chocolate Chips
M&Ms, Pretzel Bits, and Busted or Mini Peanut Butter Cups
Pumpkin Oatmeal Choose-Your-Mix-Ins Cookies
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice [or 1/2 tsp each ground cloves nutmeg, allspice]
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger [optional]
- 1/2 tsp cardamom [optional]
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 c unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 c brown sugar
- 1/2 c white sugar
- 1/4 c molasses
- 1 c pumpkin puree
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 3/4 c rolled oats
- 1 1/2 - 2 c mix-ins [use at least .25 c: chocolate or other chips shredded coconut, mini kisses, toffee bits, nuts, seeds, raisins or craisins or minced dried fruit, candy corn, pretzel bits, diced fun-size Halloween candies]
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line baking sheets with parchment or silpats.
- Whisk flour, spices, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, or in the bowl of a mixer, cream butter, molasses, and sugars.
- Add molasses, pumpkin, vanilla and egg and stir to incorporate.
- Add flour mixture and stir to incorporate.
- Add oats and stir to incorporate.
- Add mixins and stir until just incorporated.
- Drop cookie dough by the tablespoon onto lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes. [Cookies will still be soft]
- Remove from oven and leave on baking sheets for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove cookies from sheets and cool on wire racks.
- Serve immediately or store for up to 8 days. [Yeah, right, like there are going to be any cookies left in 8 days!!!]