It’s been a bourbon year at the Lunchbox Season. To go with our Drunk Cherry Jam and our Bourbon Old Fashioned Cranberry Sauce, we just had to get a pie in there….
How about an apple pie, with a bourbon soak and a good whallop of pecan pieces and halves?
What a pie it is, my friends! What a pie!
Apple Bourbon Pecan Pie with Bourbon Pecan Crust
Bourbon Pecan Crust
- 2 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 4-6 tbs sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon optional
- 12 tbs cold unsalted butter cubed
- 1/2 c cold vegetable shortening cubed
- 1/4 c ice-cold bourbon [if the seems too strong for your taste try a mix of bourbon and vodka]
- 1/4 c ice-cold water
- 3/4 c ground pecans
- 6 c peeled cored, apple slices
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1-2 tbs cinnamon
- 1/8 – 1/4 c bourbon
- 1/2 c Pecan pieces
- 1/4 c Pecan halves
- 3 tbs Butter
Bourbon Pecan Crust
- In a food processor, pulse 1.5 c flour, salt and sugar until combined.
- Add the butter and shortening and process until the dough becomes clumpy.
- Add the other 1 c flour and pulse until mixture is combined but still clumpy.
- Add the bourbon 1 tbs at a time, pulsing sparingly.
- Add the ice-cold water 1 tbs at a time, pulsing sparingly, until the dough just sticks together.
- Add the ground pecans and pulse sparingly until just combined.
- Divide the dough in half.
- Flatten each half into a disk.
- Wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for at least two hours before rolling and baking.
Pie Assembly and Baking
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Roll one disc of the dough between two sheets of floured waxed paper and use it to line the pie plate.
- Roll the other disc of dough and set it aside for topping the pie (or slice for lattice).
- Mix the sliced apples with the sugar, cinnamon, bourbon, and pecan pieces.
- Fill pie shell with the apple mixture.
- Top with a few knobs of butter and the pecan halves.
- Top the pie with a lattice or with the rolled disc of dough and crimp the edges, venting the top with a fork or knife.
- Bake at 400 for 30 minutes.
- With the pie still in the oven, lower the temperature to 350 and bake for 20-40 minutes, until the pie crust is browned and the contents are bubbly.
- Remove the pie from the oven and cool slightly.
- Slice and enjoy!