This kids were at it again today, making their own Mediterranean lunch! Today was a day for simplicity. Bea put a healthy twist on her favourite Greek resto dish, fries with feta. She baked her spuds! Toby made Basic Hummus for dipping carrots and pepper strips! Once again, they proved that it tastes better when you make it at home!
Baked Fries with Feta
- 2 1/2 lb potatoes [we used long slim, red-skinned Cecilia potatoes]
- 1/4 c cup olive oil
- zest of a whole lemon
- juice of half a lemon
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1-2 tsp sea salt
- 5 oz crumbled feta cheese
- quartered lemons to serve at the table
- Heat the oven to 450F.
- Line two baking pans with parchment.
- Slice the potatoes in half and slice each half into 4-5 long fingers each, leaving the skin on.
- In a bowl, toss the potato slices with the olive oil, juice, and zest.
- Add the garlic and onion powder and toss again.
- Spread slices evenly onto the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Carefully flip the fries on the pan.
- Bake for 10 more minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and top fries with feta.
- Top fries with feta.
- Place the pan back into the oven and bake for about 10 minutes more.
- Remove the fries from the oven and cool ever so slightly.
- Serve with lemon wedges.
- 1 15 oz can chickpeas drained, reserving .5 c of the liquid
- 1/4 c tahini
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- juice of 1 large lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 3-5 tbs liquid from the chickpea can
- dash of Sumac or ground Paprika for garnish
- In the bowl of a food processor, mix the tahini and lemon with the “pulse” button for 1 minute.
- Add the olive oil, salt, garlic and onion powder and pulse again for about 30 seconds.
- Add half of the chickpeas and pulse again for a minute.
- Add the rest of the chickpeas and pulse again for a minute.
- Have a look at the hummus in the processor to see if it as silky smooth as you would like.
- If it’s not smooth enough, add the chickpea liquid by the teaspoon and pulse until it’s a smooth as you would like. [We added 4 tbs].
- Spoon the hummus into a bowl.
- Add a dash of sumac or paprika to the top for garnish!