No Super Bowl Party should be without Hot and Spicy Wings.
This is one of my go-to wet rubs for chicken wings!
The parents in the house used to get these all to themselves, until Bea developed a taste for everything hot and spicy. It won’t be long before Toby joins in and we’re all grasping for the last wing on the plate.
Best Ever Hot and Spicy Baked Chicken Wings
Wet Rub Ingredients:
- [This is flexible. If you're missing something on the list just double something else.]
1 tbs each:
- Mexican Chile Powder [or just Plain Chile Powder]
- Ancho Chile Powder
- Chocolate Chile Powder
- Sweet Smoked Paprika
- Hot Smoked Paprika
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
1 tsp each:
up to 1 tsp each:
- Oregano [optional]
- Cayenne Pepper [optional]
up to 1/2 tsp:
- ground cloves
- Sriracha or other hot sauce
1-2 tbs each:
- Orange juice or Apple Cider
- Vinegar [optional]
About 2 dozen wings.
- Heat oven to 425
- Mix all of the dry ingredients in a bowl or zip-lock-style bag.
- Add hot sauce and juice/vinegar and mix well.
- Immerse wings in bowl or bag and coat well with the wet rub.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, until quite dark, and the wings reach an internal temperature of 165F.
- [These wings will appear rather dark on the outside. No worries, it's nothing burnt, only amazing hot and spicy flavour!]
- Serve with more hot sauce [if you dare], carrot sticks, and our Blue Cheese Yogurt Dipping Sauce [below].
- You can also use this rub on a whole chicken, baking at 425 for at least 45 minutes, or until the breast reaches 155 and the leg and thigh 180.
Blue Cheese Dipping Sauce for Wings
- 3/4 c plain greek yogurt [In a pinch I've used plain full-fat regular yogurt.]
- 1/3 c crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tbs sour cream or mayonnaise
- 2 tsp minced garlic [optional]
- 1 tbs milk or cream
- juice of 1 small lime or 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbs citrus zest
- salt and pepper to taste
- Stir all ingredients well and serve.