It’s been a crazy few weeks, with little time for baking. Luckily, I had sugar cookie dough in the freezer , so I was able to whip up a little Halloween-week magic for the kids while they were carving their pumpkins. Here’s the how-to, with a gallery of cookie pics and this year’s pumpkin handiwork below. If you don’t have time to make your own cookie dough or icing, just swap out the recipe below for a store-bought roll of sugar cookie dough, a large tube of white and a small tube of black decorator icing!
Quick & Easy Mummy Cookies
- a chopstick, skewer or straw
- small or medium sized gingerbread-man cookie cutter
- 2/3 c unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tbs milk
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 c flour
- 1 1/2 - 2 c icing sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- milk by the tablespoon full
- black sugar or black sprinkles
Make the Dough
- Cream the butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, milk, and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Sift in the baking powder, salt, and flour and mix.
- Once the dough forms into a ball, wrap it in plastic film and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes.
- buy a roll of pre-made sugar cookie dough.
Create and Bake your Mummy Cookies
- Roll refrigerated dough to between 1/4 and 1/8 of an inch.
- To make things quick and easy, I roll my dough between waxed paper sheets.
- Cut cookies with gingerbread-man cutter, and place them on parchment lined cookie sheets.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes [or according to package directions]
- Cool on wire racks.
Make the Mummy "Bandages"
- Prepare icing by mixing icing sugar with vanilla.
- Add milk 1 tbs at a time until you have a thick but squeezable icing.
- Place icing in a pastry bag with a small circular tip, a squeeze bottle, or a plastic bag with one small corner sliced off.
- Squeeze icing across each cookie in somewhat irregular horizontal strokes.
- Squeeze white decorator icing across each cookie in somewhat irregular horizontal strokes.
Make the Mummy Eyes
- Pour some black sugar crystals or sprinkles into a small ramekin or bowl.
- Wet the tip of a chopstick, skewer or straw slightly and dip in sugar or sprinkles.
- Use the sugar-dusted stick to dot black eyes on each cookie mummy.
- Use black decorator icing to dot on the eyes!
Lunchbox Season Pumpkin Gallery 2012: Tobes, Bea, Papa, Mama
[Note my signature pumpkin: I make a “?” pumpkin every year!]