It’s the Last Week of School!
There’s no better way to get the kids to “clean out” their Lunchboxes than to make an absolutely amazing Lunchbox Treat that will have them searching for the very last crumb….
Chewy M&M and Oreo Brownies
Here’s a riff on our Cook’s Illustrated Inspired “Block Party Brownies” from the beginning of the school year. Both the Oreos and M&Ms in these brownies tend to “disappear” into the chocolatey darkness. The kids have fun trying to search for hidden cookie bites and candies with slightly faded coatings within the chewy brownie goodness.
Chew M&M and Oreo Brownies
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 oz unsweetened chocolate chopped
- 4 tbs unsalted butter melted and cooled
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 additional egg yolks
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt optional
- 1 cup Oreos broken into pieces (about 10-12 cookies, each cookie divided into 4-6 sections)
- 1 cup or 200g package of M&M candies
- Preheat oven to 350 with the rack in the lowest position.
- Line a 9×13 pan with two layers of tin foil, with one set of long edges hanging out over the 9-in sides so that you can easily remove the brownie from the pan.
- Spray foil lined pan with baking spray.
- Whisk cocoa powder and boiling water until smooth.
- Add chopped unsweetened chocolate until melted and smooth.
- Let this mixture cool slightly, or you'll scramble your eggs.
- Add melted butter, oil, eggs and egg yolks and whisk again.
- Whisk in sugar and vanilla.
- Using a spatula, add flour and salt to this bowl of chocolate glory.
- Add Oreos and M&Ms and fold gently.
- Pour batter evenly into pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until knife comes out relatively clean.
- Lift the brownie from the pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Slice brownie into squares.
With our Lunchboxes set aside for the summer holidays, It’s time to transition over to our sister site, Summer of Funner!!!! There, at https://www.summeroffunner.com, you can check out last summer’s activities and keep up with this summer’s adventures.
The Lunchbox Season will return in September, 2012!